I arrived pretty late on the Açai train. I always thought there was some strange magic that needed to happen in order to get that purple goodness into my own bowl at home. Then, I saw that Trader Joe’s (my favorite local market) started carrying frozen Açai packets. So I bought some and never looked back.
I’ve tested out many, MANY combos, all of which will make their way onto the blog at some point, but for this first one, I wanted to offer my “gut-healing” recipe. If you don’t know already, we need to consume probiotics regularly in our diets in order to ensure a healthy gut (gut health=brain health). Since I’m only a part-time vegan, I enjoy goat yogurt kefir as a great source of healthy probiotics. This creamy kefir is a smoothie superstar, and when I added it to my açai bowl one morning, this happened:
I regret not rolling out this recipe out in mid-summer when peaches were at the peak of their ripeness. Grab up the peaches that are in stores and farmer’s markets now before the season comes to an end, or simply substitute the peaches for banana slices, it will be just as satisfying. As for the berries, frozen can work as well as fresh if you thaw them first.
Total time: 5 mins
Follow my P.R.I.M.E method for home cooking and read this recipe all the way through, then gather all your ingredients, rinse/slice your stone fruit, rinse your berries, and portion out your chia seeds
1. Run the frozen Açai packet under cold water to thaw it a bit, then cut the packet open and break it up into your blender.
2. Add the banana and 1/2 cup of plain kefir to your blender with the açai packet and pulse until smooth.
3. Pour the blended Açai mixture into a bowl, use a rubber spatula to get all the goodness off the sides of the blender and into your bowl.
4. Next, arrange your fruit in sweet little rows across your bowl. Leave some space for the chia seeds in between.
5. Add the chia into the reserved space.
6. Eat immediately, and lick the bowl at the end, I won’t judge. 😉
If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with a friend and/or leave a comment below to let me know what you think.